Wednesday, November 14, 2012

whole wheat coconut bake 2


Coconut Bake
8 ozs white flour
8 ozs whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
6 ozs grated coconut or reconstituted dessicated coconut
8 ozs milk
4 ozs butter
Method
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Warm the milk in a saucepan, add butter and sugar and mix until butter has melted, leave to cool slightly.
3. Add coconut to flour, mix and make a well in centre of the mixture.
4. Gradually pour milk and butter into flour and coconut, mixing until a dough of kneading consistency is formed.
5. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until it is silky and smooth.
6. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and rest for 30 minutes.
7. Heat oven to 190C and grease a roasting tray.
8. When dough has rested, roll out and fit on roasting tray.
9. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the bake is well coloured, has a firm crust and sounds hollow when you tip it out of the tin and tap the base.
10. Transfer bake to a wire rack and cool a bit before slicing.
Serving tip: Coconut bake is best when warm and served with strong cheddar cheese and lots of butter.
THIS ENTRY WAS POSTED ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 29TH, 2006 AT 10:07 AND IS FILED UNDER RECIPES. YOU CAN FOLLOW ANY RESPONSES TO THIS ENTRY THROUGH THE RSS 2.0 FEED. YOU CAN LEAVE A RESPONSE, OR TRACKBACK FROM YOUR OWN SITE.

8 Responses to “Coconut bake”

  1. Global Voices Online » Blog Archive » Trinidad & Tobago: In praise of coconut bakeSays:
    [...] Trinifood sings the praises of the “simple, unleavened bread” known in Trinidad and Tobago as coconut bake, and posts a recipe. Georgia Popplewell [...]
  2. Chennette Says:
    I wonder if anyone else uses terms like “fried bake” which must sound incomprehensible to some; is it twice-cooked? :-)
  3. kitt thompson Says:
    better late than nver.. tried your roast bake recipe.. turned out kinda on the hard side.. modified recipe with teaspoon instant yeast.. came out just like home.. had it with smokaherin,, thats the real thing.. thnks…kitt
  4. Slices Of Whole Wheat Bread Says:
    Whole Wheat Bread V. White Bread – Which One Will Prevail?…
    Junk food addicts argue with health food nuts, asserting white bread to be the best. The health food nuts retaliate exclaiming about how much better store bought whole wheat bread is than white bread….
  5. Shauny Says:
    To add even more confusion to this bake business I’m wondering if anyone has tasted or can give me a recipe for “pot bake”. When I was growing up my Mom would prepare a dough similar to that used to make fry bakes but instead of frying it she would cook/”bake” it in a pot on the stovetop. It was lovely and delicious with cheese or saltfish. :-0)
  6. shelly Says:
    we vincy’s know this as doughboy.
  7. AJ Says:
    As a Vincentian with Trinidadian relatives, I grew up knowing coconut bakes and “fry bakes” as simply “bakes” as my mother was not a fan of coconut and left that out of her recipe. I would distinguish by calling this one “bake bakes” when making my request to my mother. As I got older I would go to Vincentian gatherings and often had doughboy. Recently (as an adult) I asked my mother to make doughboy for me then I changed my request and asked for a bake instead. She turned to me questioningly and said it’s the same thing. Confused and a bit shocked at her comment I replied “what do you mean the same thing? They’re different, bake is plain and doughboy has coconut”. My mother laughed at me and said that she just doesn’t put in coconut sometimes. She then explained that in Trinidad it is known as coconut bake and in St. Vincent doughboy but essentially it is one and the same.
  8. Trinifood Says:
    We do much of the same thing around the region but just call them by different names. I now add lots of wheat germ, linseed and other healthy grains to my bake. It doesn’t last long!

Leave a Reply

 

No comments:

Post a Comment