Wednesday, November 14, 2012

coconut bake 3


4 1/2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
1/4 cup butter or shortening (i used shortening)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon quick acting yeast
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut (I used dessicated coconut)

If you’re using freshly grated coconut , start by prepping that or as in my case I started with the dough. This would be the first time using our new food processor for making dough, but feel free to use your hands if you not as lazy as I am. In the food processor (or bowl) place the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and the butter or shortening and work till you get a sort of crumbs texture. I gave the food processor a few pulses and it was ready for the next step.
I then added the grated coconut and gave it another pulse, then I started to add the coconut milk and make the actual dough. You may notice that you’ll need some additional liquid, if that is the case add some water. You’re looking for a smooth and firm dough. Since I used the food processor (about 3-5 minutes), I then removed it onto a floured surface and worked the dough until it was firm and smooth as I wanted.
The next step is to cut it evenly into two pieces and and work it into the shape of the ‘bake’. You’ll need to have a flour dusted surface and a rolling pin ready. I believe I got mine about 1 inch thick and about 10-12 inches in diameter. I then used a fork to prick the surface a bit (always saw my mom do that), placed it onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Which I covered with plastic wrap and allowed to rest for about 2 0 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 400F, then add the bakes (remove plastic wrap) on the cookie sheet and on the middle shelf for about 25-30 minutes or until they’re golden brown. You can always stick a toothpick in the center and if it comes our dry, it means the inside is fully cooked.
I forgot to mention that you should warm the coconut milk a bit before adding to the flour to make the dough. Day two would see us have slices of this with guava jam and tea for breakfast, before heading off to school… you felt as if you could take on the world when your belly was jam-packed with this lovey coconut bake.
Oye! before you go… Remember you can watch the cooking videos on the recipe channel and we’d love to interact with you on our Facebook fan page. There’s a few thousand of us already causing commesse on there… so do check it out.
Print Friendly

Comments (15)

+1
Kay's avatar
Kay· 60 weeks ago
Yum! Fresh out the oven coconut bake is the best! Made some a couple weeks ago (different recipe) and just about demolished half of it in one sitting. Never tried it with yeast though, just baking powder. Will give it a go next time, see if it makes for a fluffier bake. And you're right, it is very hard to explain what a "bake" is to some folks, but flatbread sounds about right...
0
Tuty's avatar
Tuty· 60 weeks ago
Chris, have you thought of using frozen grated coconut? It is easily found in the Asian market. Some are from the Philippines, some from Vietnam or Thailand. I've been using the frozen grated coconut in my Indonesian recipes because I can't be bothered with grating the coconut myself. LOL. Of course, nothing beats freshly grated coconut.
1 reply · active 52 weeks ago
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give that a try.
[...] jag däremot vet är att bake är väldigt gott, så idag försöker jag mig på Chris recept på bake, wish me [...]
Hi Chris I always enjoy a hot slice of coconut bake anytime. It goes well with most sides. Thank you.
0
omar's avatar
omar· 53 weeks ago
chris can i make the dough lets say on saturday put it in the fridge and bake it the day after? or should it be baked immediately as shown above?
1 reply · active 52 weeks ago
I like trying new recipes and LOVE bread. This looks like a great recipe to try. Thank you for sharing
0
Guest's avatar
Guest· 44 weeks ago
I made this bread and it had a very bland taste, practically no taste at all to it. Is it supposed to taste that way. should it taste more like coconut?
2 replies · active 4 weeks ago
0
Caro's avatar
Caro· 10 weeks ago
its just like a type of bread, you have to eat it with a filling. in trinidad we eat it with cheese and or butter but you can eat it with any type of savory or sweet filling that you prefer. its not really meant to be eaten alone.
+1
sheldon's avatar
sheldon· 4 weeks ago
Coconut Bake is meant to go with fillings but it should be tasty enough to be eaten on its own, I had the same issue, especially with the lack of coconut flavour, so I modified the recipe to get the taste I was used to. I punched up the salt to a full teaspoon, the sugar to two slightly rounded tablespoons, the grated coconut to 1&1/2 - 2 cups, and replaced 2 cups of white flour with whole wheat flour (optional, just my preference). For the coconut milk, instead of the canned version, I mixed in approx 2oz of "creamed coconut" (usually comes in red box in the grocery), with 1 cup warm water, it came out just like my Mom's. Thanks Chris, for all your great recipes.
I did a wholewheat version of it and posted it on FB. Thanks for posting it. I'm looking forward to supper tonight when we will enjoy it as a family.
0
Nicola's avatar
Nicola· 21 weeks ago
Great Recipe...Thanks a million!!
0
uniqueDominicangrl's avatar
uniqueDominicangrl· 17 weeks ago
Can't wait to try this one Chris.... Thanks
0
Amy's avatar
Amy· 4 weeks ago
About to try this today... i will comment when its done

Post a new comment

No comments:

Post a Comment