Tuesday, April 2, 2013


This easy, healthy, low carb breakfast pudding can be made with any berries or other addtions as listed. Make it in the microwave in under 5 minutes. For a larger serving, increase the almond meal up to 1/2 cup, add 1 Tablespoon water, and cook a bit longer.

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup almond meal
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup blueberries - frozen or otherwise
  • Sweetener and flavoring to taste - see list below

Preparation:

Mix almond meal, egg, and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Move the cooked part of the pudding towards the center of the bowl and add blueberries and/or any mix-ins you want. Microwave for about 45-60 more seconds, depending on mix-ins (frozen fruit will need even longer cooking, as it will cool down the pudding). Stir and eat.

Possible Additions: Nutritional Information: Each serving (with blueberries) has 6 grams effective carbohydrateplus 5 grams fiber, 13 grams protein, and 273 calories.

I took the advice of a few different reviewers. First, to make the recipe so that it keeps to its true name ""bread pudding"", you need to add more water. I put in 3 tablespoons of water, and was pleased it came out with a smooth bread pudding consistency. I also cooked it for 70 secs. to make it steaming hot. That is because after it cooked, and I slightly mixed it up, I added a little heavy cream and a light pad of butter. I also mixed in one packet of Splenda. I was so excited it came out just as I hoped it would. If this recipe had been called Blueberry Almond Muffin, I would have passed it up. (I have eaten too many dry low-carb, almond meal based muffins in my time). I LOVE bread pudding, and with docking it up, I got what I was looking for! Will make again. Btw, I have bought Trader Joe's Almond Meal for years, and it is SO easy to use (AND cheap).

No comments:

Post a Comment